Friday, February 13, 2009

A Change in Routines

When my daughter was born, everyone told us to start the routine of lying Kiley in her bed and letting her cry herself to sleep. We just couldn't do it. At the time, I was nursing and she feel asleep after eating. No problems. Once she was down, she was usually out for nearly most of the night (10-11 hours). Not bad. I truly enjoyed my time of rocking her and holding her as she slept.

At 6 months, we tried something new. We tried the lay her down and let her cry. I even had someone come over and try to help me with this challenge. Getting her to bed took lots of singing and walking. Since JC traveled, it was me who put her to bed every night. However, once she was down, it wasn't until 5:30 or 6 until she woke up. Most the time I would just get up and start my day...but 2months later, JC stopped traveling and he just adored her so much, he had her join us in our bed. It was very sweet waking up with her. I absolutely loved watching her sleep! But somehow, the 5:30-6 wake up call continuously started coming earlier and earlier. It came to the point of needing a serious change! It was no longer even during the night...it would be just 1hour after being put down. Getting her down was tough too! At 18 months, she had to sit on the couch, with her milk, blanket, and all the toys in her sight! It was getting to be too much. Not only that, I was missing the cuddle time with my hubby! Now, for those of you that don't know, Kiley has NOT been a good sleeper since about 7 months! She is up like every hour. It is exhausting...so you would understand how she came to sleep in our bed every night.

So, 2 nights ago, we took on the new routine. It's not great, but we are working on it! We go upstairs, try to read a book and let her get in her bed...here is a recap of the first night....

February 12, 2009

Earlier that day, I spoke to Kiley about sleeping in her big girl bed. When we talked and I asked her about it, she simply said, "NO!" I knew she meant it, but then again, so did I! She new as soon as we walked up the stairs for "night-night". The crying started, and did not let up until 45 minutes later. Hour after hour she was up and crying. At 11pm, JC caved...her picked her up. All that work, for nothing. "How can we go about this just cold turkey?" he asked. I asked him to do some research and find a better way. Before the night was over, she was in our bed. But at least we attempted the task.

February 13, 2009
I took Kiley upstairs and she laid her head down! I was so proud. It wasn't long and she was asleep. Maybe all that "work" paid off. However, her hourly nightly cries are so hard to ignore. I woke up to find two feet in my side. She had been successful once again.

So, the going to bed routine is getting easier, but the hourly hiccups are not. I am determined to stick with this routine as much as possible. Although I enjoy her very much, I need my sleep! She is a bed hog! I do not regret anything we did with her in the past. I will say that we maybe fighting our battle now, but those sweet moments of cuddling with her and caressing her cheeks will be forever in my heart.

2 comments:

  1. Awww...I know what you are going through! Just remember 3 nights makes a habit bit it only takes 1 night to get them completely hout of the habit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't feel bad, Laila is now sleeping with me 100% of the time. transistion out of the crib was a flop but i'm ok with it cuz i know it won't be forever. you could try bringing her mattress in your room (i did this with Amir) and let her sleep on the floor. take baby steps. you would have to be firm though with her staying in her own bed. trust me one day she will want her own bed in her own room. Don't make yourself crazy.
    sarah cox

    ReplyDelete