Monday, March 8, 2010

Transitions: Saying Goodbye to My Bike


Transitions, we don’t realize just how often we transition from one stage or our lives to the other. It is now been nearly 4 years since I last rode my Cervelo, a bike that at one time was way better than I was. My final race on my bike was my ½ ironman, just one week before I got married.

I remember buying the bike just like it was yesterday. I had just finished teaching 4 weeks of summer school, which pays fairly well, and to the bike store I went and so did all of my summer school money! At the time, I wasn’t sure I really wanted to spend my money on the bike, however, JC (my boyfriend, at the time) had his bike, and if I was ever going to spend any time with him, I would need to purchase a bike. I have to admit, that I started riding because of him. However, it eventually did become my passion, and I have more of dream to get back on the bike than he does at this time.

The bike was perfect, red and fast: much better than I was since I had not been on a bike since I was like 12. The truth was, I really didn’t even know what a road bike was. I bought the clip in pedals, shoes, helmet, triathlon bars, the bike shorts and shirt uniform, the whole bit. I remember coming back to the apartment and trying out the brand new expensive bike, time after time, I fell trying to clip in my shoes. How upsetting it was to wreck that bike! I had never owned anything that costly before!! Howver, it didn’t take long, and JC had me in the mountains riding. It was something we did every weekend, which then lead us into our lifestyle of competing in triathlons and racing for 680 the Fan and Subaru.

Now, my bike is transitioning to another owner, I am sad to see it go. What awesome times and memories that bike has given me….and a lifestyle. For years, that is the lifestyle that JC and I created, enjoyed and loved. It was our stress reliever, our quality time, and our life. It hit me hard to think I haven’t been out for a ride in years. However, we have transitioned ourselves, to a family of 3 and soon to be 4. We no longer have the time to go out for a 4 hour bike ride or the convenient bike paths that were just minutes away. Although, the bike riding may be on hold for now, I can’t wait for the day, that JC and I expose our daughters to the world of road bikes and triathlons. Hopefully, if will become a lifestyle for them someday.





1 comment:

  1. You can still bike ride--we've discovered the joys of the kid's bike trailer that you pull behind your bike. Will loves it! And, it actually holds two kids, so you can do family rides around the area. You may not be doing four hour rides in the mountains, but having your family in tow while riding is so much more fun--and rewarding :)

    ReplyDelete